-
Articles/Ads
Article FREEMASONRY IN BERKS AND BUCKS. ← Page 2 of 3 Article FREEMASONRY IN BERKS AND BUCKS. Page 2 of 3 →
Note: This text has been automatically extracted via Optical Character Recognition (OCR) software.
Freemasonry In Berks And Bucks.
Bro . Peter Gilks being present in the capacity of Instructor . When the Lodge was closed , the brethren sat down to a banquet , and on this occasion there was drunk with great enthusiasm the health of Bro . John Ramsbottom , as Provincial Grand Master , though a Provincial Grand Lodge
does not appear to have been regularly constituted till May 1837 . On the 8 th October 1833 , the meeting of the Lodge was suspended for an hour and a half , in order that some fifty ladies might be admitted to see its decorations . On
tho 10 th December of the same year the Lodge moved from the Wheat Rick Inn to the Upper Ship Inn and inorenspd in numbers . On 2 nd December 1835 , a dispensation wns srranted bv the Provincial G . Master for the
burial of Bro . Charles Smith with Masonic rites . On llfch June 1836 the Lodge removed from the Upper Ship to the Woolpnok , where it remained till its removal to the old buildings in St . Lawrence ' s Churchyard , on the 17 th May 1837 , when an emergency meeting was held for the
purpose of receiving the Provincial Lodge . On this occasion Bro . Ramsbottom congratulated tho brethren on tho opportunity thus afforded them of constituting a Grand Lodge of Berkshire and of organising a scheme for tho purchasing of the necessary regalia . From the list of
officers which Bro . Bigcs has appended to his historical sketch we learn that Captain Montague was appointed Deputy Prov . Grand Master , John Ramsbottom jun . and Samuel Ramsbottom Prov . Grand Senior and Junior Wardens respectively , Rev . Bro . Benwell Prov . G . Chaplain ,
Bro . W . Leigh Prov . Grand Treasurer , Bvo . J . F . Baker Prov . Grand Secretary , and Bros . R . T . Woodhouse , M . D ., Palmer . Wood , and Nathaniel Trensure as Prov . Grand Senior Deacon , Supt . of Works , Director of Ceremonies , and Pursuivant respectively . On 7 th November 1837 ,
Dr . Wonclhouse was installed as Master of the Union Lod < rc , and held the office for two years . On 26 th October , on the occasion of the foundation stone of the new chapel in the cemetery being laid by Bro . Ramsbottom P . G . M . in tlie presence of several Grand Officers , the same Dr .
Woodhouse was appointed Deputy Provincial Grand Master . On 22 nd April 1843 , mourning for twelve months was decreed in consequence of the death of Grand Master the Duke of Sussex , and on 17 th November 1845 , it was ordered that the brethren in the Province should wear
mourning for six months out of respect to Bro . Ramsbottom P . G . M ., deceased . On the 21 st February 1848 . the late Marquis of Downshire , was installed as Provincial Grand Master , having previously been installed as W . M . of the Union Lodge . Up to this time there were in the
two counties together , but the two Lodges , Etonian , Eton , and Union of Reading , and it is not till tho 21 st March 1850 , that a warrant , was granted for the constitution of a Lodge at Newbury , now bearing the style and title of " The Berkshire Lodge of Hope , No . 574 . " Bro . John
Parker—query , the same who was the first W . M . of the defunct Royal Sussex , No . 672 , founded in the same town in 1815—being the first W . M ., and Bros . John Bealo and Edward Balding , the first Senior and Junior Wardens respectively . On the 5 th April 1852 , at a meeting of
the Lodge of Union , Bro . Robert Gibson made an offer of 40 , 000 bricks towards building a new Masonic Hail . The offer was accepted , and ultimately it was resolved to erect one in the Grey Friars Road . On the 25 th April 1851 , a Avarrant was panted for tbo Buckingham Lodge , then No . 861
now No . 591 , Aylesbury , and the Lodge was consecrated on the 3 rd May 1852 , A . A . le Kan bein g the first W . M ., and J . B . Reade and Chas . Lowndes the first Senior and Junior Wardens respectively . After a lapse of six years a Provincial Grancl Lodge was held on the 20 th December 1858 at
Rending , nnd adjourned till the 23 rd of March of tbe following year , for the appointment of officers , and likewise for the purpose of laying the foundation stone of the new Masonic Hall , the ceremony being performed b y the Marquis of Downshire , Grand Master of the Province ,
assisted by his Officers and a larg e number of brethren , the sermon being preached at St . Lawrence ' s Church , by the Rev . A . Roberts , P . Prov . Grand Chaplain . A short time previously—that is on the 10 th February 1859—a new Lodge known as the Windsor Castle LocVe
m w No . 771 , was consecrated with Bro . Madio-nn as ¦ hv first Worshi pfnl Master . On tho 10 th May ° 1859 , was founded the St . John ' s Lodge , No . 795 , Maidenhead ! the first W . Master being Bro . Egbert Steer Cousins , and the first S . and J . Wardens Bro . Charles Venables and John Langton respectively . The ceremony was performed in the Town Hall by Bro . Jeremiah Hood P . M . 82 , Prov
Freemasonry In Berks And Bucks.
G . D . C . Herts , in the presence of a considerable gathering of brethren . On the 20 th November 1860 , the new Masonic Hall in Grey Friars Road , Reading , was opened , the ceremony , which consisted of the opening and closing in the three degrees , being of a , simple character . The
Lodge Room or Hall is capacious , measuring 38 ft . by 24 ft ., but the ante-rooms are very confined in space , and consequently unsuited for the purposes for which they are designed . Bro . J . B . Clacy was the architect , and Bro . iH . L . Orton the builder , and the total cost , including site
and decorations , amounted to £ 1 , 850 . On tho loth December 1860 , Bro . John Hervey P . G . Deacon , now Grand Sec , consecrated tho Scientific Lodge , No . 840 , at Stoney Stratford , and subsequently installed Bro . J . E . McConnell as W . M ., the Wardens being Bros . Smith and Stevenson .
In 1802 this Lodge migrated to Wolverton , where it still flourishes . In 1861 the Marquis of Downshire , who , during the fourteen years he had been the Prov . Grand Master , held only four Grand Lodges , resigned his post , and the Province was in October 1862 accordingly placed under the charge
of Bro . M . Mclntyre , Q . C , Grand Registrar , aud he , with the assistance of Bro . Joseph Devereux , of Windsor , tho Prov . Grancl Secretary , and other active brethren , revived the condition of Freemasonry in the Province . In 1863 , two new Lodges were consecrated , namely , the Abbey
Lodge , No . 945 , at Abingdon , and the St . Barnabas , No . 948 , at Linsdale , the Rev . R . W . Norman being installed the first Worshipfnl Master of the former , and Bro . James Shugar of the latter . On the 19 th November 1864 , the Windsor Masonic Hall was dedicated , the chief credit being
due to Bro . Devereux , Avho conceived and , aided by other brethren , carried out the idea of a building specially set apart for Masonry . On 17 th May 1866 , a second Lodge , the Grey Friars , No . 1101 , was consecrated by Bro . Mclntyre , G . Registrar in charge of the Province , at Reading . On
the 21 st May 1869 a Provincial Graud Lodge was held afc Windsor , when Sir Daniel Gooch , Bart ., M . P ., was installed as Grand Master of the Province , the ceremony being most impressively rendered by Bro . John Hervey , Grand Secretary . On 25 th February 1870 , Bro . Rev . R . J .
Simpson , who had been Chaplain of the Grey Friars , No . 1101 , from its foundation , being about to leave the Province , was presented with a most affectionate address in testimony of the services he had rendered and the respect in which ho was held . On the 27 th May following ,
at a Prov . G . Lodge held especially for the purpose , a Code of Bye Laws for the Province was discussed and adopted , and on the 1 st July of the same year H . R . H . the Prince of Wales performed his first Masonic ceremony subsequent to his initiation by the late King of
Sweden by laying . the foundation stone of the Reading Grammar School , Sir Daniel Gooch , Prov . G . Master , and over three hundred brethren being present . The same year the Methuen Lodge , No . 631 , founded in April 1854 , removed from Swindon , Wilts , to Maidenhead ,
nnd it has since migrated to Taplow , Bncks . In 18 / 2 , the St . Peter and St . Paul Lodge , No . 1410 , was consecrated at Newport Pngnel , Bucks ; in 1874 , the Alma Mater , No . 1492 , at Bletchley , and the Wycombe , No . 1501 , at High Wycombe , both in the same county ; in 1875 ,
Freemasonry received a great accession of strength at Maidenhead , owing to the constitution of a new Lodge—the Ellington , No . 1506—and in 1876 , Stoney Stratford , which , as we have shown , had a few years previously been able to boasfc of a " Scientific " Lodge , bnt , owing to its migration
to Wolverton , had been left unprovided with Masonic accommodation , awakened once again to a proper sense of its Masonic requirements , and the result of such was the consecration of the Watling Street Lodge , No . 1639 , having its headquarters at the Cock Hotel .
In respect of R . Arch Masonry , we note that a Warrant for the Downshire Chnpter , Reading , was granted in 1851 , the Marquis of Downshire being Z ., Comps . J . B . Gibson H ., Sir J . W . Hayes , Bart ., J . It does not , however , appear to have been successful , and was erased in 1861 .
On 1 st February 1865 , a Warrant for the Windsor Castlo Chapter , No . 771 , was granted , the principals being Comps . Jas . Cottrell Z ., Jas . Devereux H ., and John Wiggington J . On 22 nd October 1867 , was consecrated by Comps .
Devereux and Muggeridgo , the Union Chapter , No . 414 , Reading with Comps . W . Biggs ns Z ., Geo . Botly as H ., and F . A . Bulley as J . On the 13 th December 1870 the Buckingham Chapter , No . 591 , Aylesbury , was consecrated , Comps . Rev . O . J . Grace , Rev . G . S . Ffinden and John Williams being Z ,, H ., and J . respectively . The St .
Note: This text has been automatically extracted via Optical Character Recognition (OCR) software.
Freemasonry In Berks And Bucks.
Bro . Peter Gilks being present in the capacity of Instructor . When the Lodge was closed , the brethren sat down to a banquet , and on this occasion there was drunk with great enthusiasm the health of Bro . John Ramsbottom , as Provincial Grand Master , though a Provincial Grand Lodge
does not appear to have been regularly constituted till May 1837 . On the 8 th October 1833 , the meeting of the Lodge was suspended for an hour and a half , in order that some fifty ladies might be admitted to see its decorations . On
tho 10 th December of the same year the Lodge moved from the Wheat Rick Inn to the Upper Ship Inn and inorenspd in numbers . On 2 nd December 1835 , a dispensation wns srranted bv the Provincial G . Master for the
burial of Bro . Charles Smith with Masonic rites . On llfch June 1836 the Lodge removed from the Upper Ship to the Woolpnok , where it remained till its removal to the old buildings in St . Lawrence ' s Churchyard , on the 17 th May 1837 , when an emergency meeting was held for the
purpose of receiving the Provincial Lodge . On this occasion Bro . Ramsbottom congratulated tho brethren on tho opportunity thus afforded them of constituting a Grand Lodge of Berkshire and of organising a scheme for tho purchasing of the necessary regalia . From the list of
officers which Bro . Bigcs has appended to his historical sketch we learn that Captain Montague was appointed Deputy Prov . Grand Master , John Ramsbottom jun . and Samuel Ramsbottom Prov . Grand Senior and Junior Wardens respectively , Rev . Bro . Benwell Prov . G . Chaplain ,
Bro . W . Leigh Prov . Grand Treasurer , Bvo . J . F . Baker Prov . Grand Secretary , and Bros . R . T . Woodhouse , M . D ., Palmer . Wood , and Nathaniel Trensure as Prov . Grand Senior Deacon , Supt . of Works , Director of Ceremonies , and Pursuivant respectively . On 7 th November 1837 ,
Dr . Wonclhouse was installed as Master of the Union Lod < rc , and held the office for two years . On 26 th October , on the occasion of the foundation stone of the new chapel in the cemetery being laid by Bro . Ramsbottom P . G . M . in tlie presence of several Grand Officers , the same Dr .
Woodhouse was appointed Deputy Provincial Grand Master . On 22 nd April 1843 , mourning for twelve months was decreed in consequence of the death of Grand Master the Duke of Sussex , and on 17 th November 1845 , it was ordered that the brethren in the Province should wear
mourning for six months out of respect to Bro . Ramsbottom P . G . M ., deceased . On the 21 st February 1848 . the late Marquis of Downshire , was installed as Provincial Grand Master , having previously been installed as W . M . of the Union Lodge . Up to this time there were in the
two counties together , but the two Lodges , Etonian , Eton , and Union of Reading , and it is not till tho 21 st March 1850 , that a warrant , was granted for the constitution of a Lodge at Newbury , now bearing the style and title of " The Berkshire Lodge of Hope , No . 574 . " Bro . John
Parker—query , the same who was the first W . M . of the defunct Royal Sussex , No . 672 , founded in the same town in 1815—being the first W . M ., and Bros . John Bealo and Edward Balding , the first Senior and Junior Wardens respectively . On the 5 th April 1852 , at a meeting of
the Lodge of Union , Bro . Robert Gibson made an offer of 40 , 000 bricks towards building a new Masonic Hail . The offer was accepted , and ultimately it was resolved to erect one in the Grey Friars Road . On the 25 th April 1851 , a Avarrant was panted for tbo Buckingham Lodge , then No . 861
now No . 591 , Aylesbury , and the Lodge was consecrated on the 3 rd May 1852 , A . A . le Kan bein g the first W . M ., and J . B . Reade and Chas . Lowndes the first Senior and Junior Wardens respectively . After a lapse of six years a Provincial Grancl Lodge was held on the 20 th December 1858 at
Rending , nnd adjourned till the 23 rd of March of tbe following year , for the appointment of officers , and likewise for the purpose of laying the foundation stone of the new Masonic Hall , the ceremony being performed b y the Marquis of Downshire , Grand Master of the Province ,
assisted by his Officers and a larg e number of brethren , the sermon being preached at St . Lawrence ' s Church , by the Rev . A . Roberts , P . Prov . Grand Chaplain . A short time previously—that is on the 10 th February 1859—a new Lodge known as the Windsor Castle LocVe
m w No . 771 , was consecrated with Bro . Madio-nn as ¦ hv first Worshi pfnl Master . On tho 10 th May ° 1859 , was founded the St . John ' s Lodge , No . 795 , Maidenhead ! the first W . Master being Bro . Egbert Steer Cousins , and the first S . and J . Wardens Bro . Charles Venables and John Langton respectively . The ceremony was performed in the Town Hall by Bro . Jeremiah Hood P . M . 82 , Prov
Freemasonry In Berks And Bucks.
G . D . C . Herts , in the presence of a considerable gathering of brethren . On the 20 th November 1860 , the new Masonic Hall in Grey Friars Road , Reading , was opened , the ceremony , which consisted of the opening and closing in the three degrees , being of a , simple character . The
Lodge Room or Hall is capacious , measuring 38 ft . by 24 ft ., but the ante-rooms are very confined in space , and consequently unsuited for the purposes for which they are designed . Bro . J . B . Clacy was the architect , and Bro . iH . L . Orton the builder , and the total cost , including site
and decorations , amounted to £ 1 , 850 . On tho loth December 1860 , Bro . John Hervey P . G . Deacon , now Grand Sec , consecrated tho Scientific Lodge , No . 840 , at Stoney Stratford , and subsequently installed Bro . J . E . McConnell as W . M ., the Wardens being Bros . Smith and Stevenson .
In 1802 this Lodge migrated to Wolverton , where it still flourishes . In 1861 the Marquis of Downshire , who , during the fourteen years he had been the Prov . Grand Master , held only four Grand Lodges , resigned his post , and the Province was in October 1862 accordingly placed under the charge
of Bro . M . Mclntyre , Q . C , Grand Registrar , aud he , with the assistance of Bro . Joseph Devereux , of Windsor , tho Prov . Grancl Secretary , and other active brethren , revived the condition of Freemasonry in the Province . In 1863 , two new Lodges were consecrated , namely , the Abbey
Lodge , No . 945 , at Abingdon , and the St . Barnabas , No . 948 , at Linsdale , the Rev . R . W . Norman being installed the first Worshipfnl Master of the former , and Bro . James Shugar of the latter . On the 19 th November 1864 , the Windsor Masonic Hall was dedicated , the chief credit being
due to Bro . Devereux , Avho conceived and , aided by other brethren , carried out the idea of a building specially set apart for Masonry . On 17 th May 1866 , a second Lodge , the Grey Friars , No . 1101 , was consecrated by Bro . Mclntyre , G . Registrar in charge of the Province , at Reading . On
the 21 st May 1869 a Provincial Graud Lodge was held afc Windsor , when Sir Daniel Gooch , Bart ., M . P ., was installed as Grand Master of the Province , the ceremony being most impressively rendered by Bro . John Hervey , Grand Secretary . On 25 th February 1870 , Bro . Rev . R . J .
Simpson , who had been Chaplain of the Grey Friars , No . 1101 , from its foundation , being about to leave the Province , was presented with a most affectionate address in testimony of the services he had rendered and the respect in which ho was held . On the 27 th May following ,
at a Prov . G . Lodge held especially for the purpose , a Code of Bye Laws for the Province was discussed and adopted , and on the 1 st July of the same year H . R . H . the Prince of Wales performed his first Masonic ceremony subsequent to his initiation by the late King of
Sweden by laying . the foundation stone of the Reading Grammar School , Sir Daniel Gooch , Prov . G . Master , and over three hundred brethren being present . The same year the Methuen Lodge , No . 631 , founded in April 1854 , removed from Swindon , Wilts , to Maidenhead ,
nnd it has since migrated to Taplow , Bncks . In 18 / 2 , the St . Peter and St . Paul Lodge , No . 1410 , was consecrated at Newport Pngnel , Bucks ; in 1874 , the Alma Mater , No . 1492 , at Bletchley , and the Wycombe , No . 1501 , at High Wycombe , both in the same county ; in 1875 ,
Freemasonry received a great accession of strength at Maidenhead , owing to the constitution of a new Lodge—the Ellington , No . 1506—and in 1876 , Stoney Stratford , which , as we have shown , had a few years previously been able to boasfc of a " Scientific " Lodge , bnt , owing to its migration
to Wolverton , had been left unprovided with Masonic accommodation , awakened once again to a proper sense of its Masonic requirements , and the result of such was the consecration of the Watling Street Lodge , No . 1639 , having its headquarters at the Cock Hotel .
In respect of R . Arch Masonry , we note that a Warrant for the Downshire Chnpter , Reading , was granted in 1851 , the Marquis of Downshire being Z ., Comps . J . B . Gibson H ., Sir J . W . Hayes , Bart ., J . It does not , however , appear to have been successful , and was erased in 1861 .
On 1 st February 1865 , a Warrant for the Windsor Castlo Chapter , No . 771 , was granted , the principals being Comps . Jas . Cottrell Z ., Jas . Devereux H ., and John Wiggington J . On 22 nd October 1867 , was consecrated by Comps .
Devereux and Muggeridgo , the Union Chapter , No . 414 , Reading with Comps . W . Biggs ns Z ., Geo . Botly as H ., and F . A . Bulley as J . On the 13 th December 1870 the Buckingham Chapter , No . 591 , Aylesbury , was consecrated , Comps . Rev . O . J . Grace , Rev . G . S . Ffinden and John Williams being Z ,, H ., and J . respectively . The St .